Vellum Marbling with Alcohol Inks


Hello crafty friends!
Well, I channeled my "inner Jennifer Mcguire" for this post! - inspired today after watching her latest video where she used Alcohol inks on vellum. Adding my own twist, I found I liked this 'marbled' effect and thought it would make an interesting card for my first actual card blog post.  The design/layout remains the same as Jennifer's - hey, why mess with perfection? 

I started by selecting 3 Alcohol Inks (Cool Peri, Pool and Eggplant) and a blending tool with a felt piece for applying alcohol Inks. I cut a piece of vellum and placed it down on some scrap paper. I applied the Alcohol Inks to the felt and added a little blending solution. I then 'pounced' the tool onto the vellum which produced a marbled-like effect. 


I applied more ink (letting the vellum dry a little) without adding more blending solution, to get a darker result. The below pic is my original piece behind (with a little more eggplant colour) and another piece in front that I made with the same technique but less of the purple ink.

I then let the vellum dry and die cut a heart (with My Favorite Things, Stitched Heart die). I cut two leaves with a Poppy Stamps Die (Massa Leaf Background) from another piece of vellum. I then die-cut a Thank-you sentiment using W-Plus 9 Hand Lettered Thanks (one of my fave sentiment dies).

I then adhered everything to the front of a white card base, overhanging the heart a little and trimming the edge.  

Hope it inspires you as Jennifer McGuire inspired me!  Love watching and supporting other crafters and sharing ideas - that's what it's all about!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!
Ali xx




9 comments

Joy said...

Gorgeous card, congrats on joining us in blogging world x

Ali Farmer (alilovescardmaking) said...

Thanks Joy xx I have no idea what I'm doing with the design and set-up etc haha, just learning as I go!! bit of fun :-)

Daniela May said...

Hi Ali - it's Daniela - just testing the commenting at it seems that it works - I don't know why some blogs only pick up my google account so I will appear as Bagheera when I comment - hehe - Bagheera was my cat.

Daniela May said...

oh finally I managed to change my Blogger profile to show my real name - so here is a test of trying to comment :)

Michelle said...

Congrats on your new blog! Excited for you! Thank you for sharing this cool technique on vellum!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!

Ali Farmer (alilovescardmaking) said...

Thanks Daniela! glad you worked it out :-) just like me trying to navigate this blog stuff!! haha xx

Ali Farmer (alilovescardmaking) said...

Thanks so much Michelle! support is so appreciated xx

Ali Farmer (alilovescardmaking) said...

Thanks so much ss :-)